To learn about experiences of trans youth, adult, and families, explore the I AM: Trans People Speak videos. MTPC started the I Am Project in 2012 to raise awareness of the diversity among transgender individuals within our communities. The project provides a platform for trans people to speak for ourselves. These positive stories can help combat the negative stereotyping of the trans community in fiction and the news.
I AM: Trans People Speak is a project to raise awareness about the diversity that exists within transgender communities. It gives a voice to transgender individuals, as well as their families, friends, and allies.
“The stories of everyday transgender Americans remain relatively unheard in both national and LGBT media,” said GLAAD President Herndon Graddick. “These stories will not only empower members of the transgender community who rarely see relatable stories, but also educate Americans everywhere about the fact that the community is a valuable part of the fabric of our culture. The campaign will also shine a light on the high level of discrimination that our transgender friends, family and neighbors continue to face in schools, the workplace and in their own communities.”
Together we can make our own media and continue to make a positive change in the representation of transgender people. We do this by focusing on the full individual. Transgender people come from a range of experiences and backgrounds, including age, race, ethnicity, gender expression, and sexual orientation.
This is the space to empower yourself and your community by sharing your own experiences. By coming together as a community and telling our own unique tales about our path through life, we can share common ground, mutual journeys, and even bring our own unique experiences to the forefront to share with others. Creating a positive media representation of transgender individuals begins and ends with us, and it is a powerful feeling to share one’s story with others. We invite you to submit your story and tell us your chapter of transgender history.
This project allows transgender people, family members, friends, and allies to:
- Empower themselves through sharing their own stories and speaking for themselves
- Be visible by participating in a nation-wide project
- Show the diversity of backgrounds and experiences that exist within trans communities
- Provide a forum to learn about, connect with, and find support through the stories of other community members
- Educate the public about the reality of transgender peoples lives and the unique challenges they face due to pervasive bias, stereotypes, and misunderstanding.
If you would like to share your story, please visit: http://www.transpeoplespeak.org/submit-your-story
Rather than focusing on medical transition and private medical information, we invite you to share your stories about your identity and experience. We invite you to tell us:
- How it has been for you accessing housing? Accessing education?
- How has it been interacting with your family and friends?
- How does your race/ethnicity intersect with your trans identity?
- What activities and hobbies are you interested in?
- What other communities are you part of?
- What has been the most difficult part of your trans experience? What has been the best part?
- What do you want the world to know about your story?
Whether you’re an every day Clark Kent or you’re actually Superman, we still want to hear from you.
In a world that is often full of discrimination and saddening statistics, offering a hopeful and common voice for those who may be beginning their trans* journey is key. Offering a common tale that may resonate throughout your community, or even with someone across the world is key to creating positive change and creating a world where we are all equal, regardless of gender identity or expression.
This project is centered on the full individual because people are more than their gender. This is a space to empower ourselves and our communities by sharing our own lived experience, and we welcome yours. We look forward to hearing from you!